Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Heavy Heart

It's interesting how God can use anything to bring HIS children into thankfulness. Lately, I've noticed that I become quite discontented whenever I'm in my house for long periods of time. There's no mystery why this is: I need a bigger house! The fact that I'm already a homeowner in this down spiraling Michigan economy is the biggest obstacle I face when trying to make this happen when I want it to. Anyway, I was down in the dumps about my situation the entire weekend. All I could think about was how much I want my children and I in a bigger place and a better neighborhood. Then, here comes Monday morning on the drive to work. I'm listening to talk radio as I usually do, right? Well, this morning the talk was about all these thousands of people standing in line in hopes of receiving an application to apply for aid for mortgage and utility payment help. My heart instantly hurt for all of these Michiganders who have lost their jobs or experienced a cut in wages, or people who earn low wages. My heart hurt for the challenges they are facing. BUT, at the same time it was an instant reminder of how BLESSED I am. Sure, I want a bigger house. HOWEVER, I am still gainfully employed, have the luxury of all of my utilities, and am not struggling to provide for my family.

Gratefulness was not the only emotion I experienced on this morning. I also felt charged to help out those in need. It wasn't long ago that I used to desire to work in the nonprofit sector, doing work that was really helping people, not just making shareholders richer. I already spend time volunteering with my community by supporting certain causes and making donations to charitable organizations, but I feel charged to do more. I want to have an impact on the community in need. I'm not sure if I want to create an agency of my own or just get involved with an existing one. What I do know is that I want to look past my own circumstances and help others in need.

If God is blessing you, you can too! I'll see you in the community.

Til later, L.A.

No comments: