Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yesterday I almost suffered a relapse. If you've read any of my most recent posts you'll know that I recently decided to pull back from being a total DIY'er. I've signed up to have my certified Sisterloctian cousin begin maintaining my locs, my licensed esthetician cousin maintain my eyebrows, and a friend's nail technician perform my manicures & pedicures. Right?

Well, yesterday was my second appointment for my loc tightening. I set the appointment a week and a half ago, believing that Friday was the perfect day because it is the least likely day of the week that I have something to do. Long story short, this particular Friday didn't hold true to my rationale. The night before the appointment I learned that an activity that I really wanted to attend was happening the night of my evening appointment and my daughter had band practice after school, which would run directly in the middle of my hair appointment. Thing is, the new way that I'm having my locs maintained takes much longer than my twisting my locs. So, I was like immediately in a dilemma. My hair really couldn't stand being put on hold another week or two--well, it could have, BUT, I really didn't want it to. Also, the timing of my appointment and the time that my daughter would be finished practicing was in direct conflict. When I realized I was having all of these issues, I was trying to get in touch with my cousin to see how she could accomodate my needs HOWEVER I could not in touch with her. She wasn't answering her cell phone, house phone, or responding to my text. Naturally, the thought that kept floating around inside of my head was that none of this would be an issue if I was maintaining my own hair as I had been!!! As I frantically kept trying to reach my cousin, I fought those thoughts out of my head because I knew I made the right decision to stop relying on myself for everything. I DESERVED to have regular pampering sessions.

At the end of the day, everything worked out perfectly. I managed to reach my cousin, reschedule my appointment for earlier in the day--using some personal time off work, but it was worth it. My daughter's practice was cancelled and luckiliy my sister was in route from her job and was able to pick my daughter up on her way home. The earlier appointment time enabled me to be done much earlier than intended so I was able to attend that activity AND had a great time. Regardless of how well things worked out this time, my busy lifestyle is definitely indicative that this will not be the last time I will encounter such a schedule conflict. I'll just have to find a way to work around it then, too.

No comments: