Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An Interesting Perspective

Is it possible that I could ever regret my decision to lock my hair? Hmm. I don't think so. Just the other day, I was explaining to an inquiring mind how detached I've become with my hair over this hair locking process. I'm not peturbed about the prospect of cutting my locks out IF and WHEN I ever decide not to wear them anymore. I am so NOT "my hair"! The locking process has freed me from the relevance that my hair plays in my life.


Then, here comes my mom with a perspective I hadn't considered. She and I were discussing the difficulties in the job market. Specifically, as it relates to older people being discriminated against. My mom was talking about, possibly, rinsing the grey out of her hair, if she should find herself displaced from her current job. From there, she began talking about the challenges my aunt encountered trying to be promoted into a management position at the company that I, now, work for. My aunt, who was very Afrocentric, from head to toe, was sure that her challenges stemmed from her natural state of being. Eventually, my aunt gave up and pursued other employment endeavors.

Now, here we are--10 plus years later. A natural hair movement, so to speak, has transpired. Everywhere you go, you're likey to see a sistah rocking a low fade, neat afro, natural twists, or locks. It sort of gives the impression that it's become socially acceptable for black women, black people, to embrace and express their natural beauty. After the conversation with my mother, I realized that, while locks may be more "socially" acceptable, the same may not hold true in the corporate world. My career path was not an area I considered when I was thinking of locking my hair.

I've been working for a certain telecommunications company for over 10 years. During those years, I've worked in a few different departments on the non-management side. At different times, I have considered tranistioning to the management side. Of course, I thought nothing of that when I was deciding on whether or not to lock my hair. And, personally, I don't think I should have.

What I, or anyone else, chooses to do with their hair should have no bearing on a position that they carry with a corporation. The emphasis should be placed on the work performed. Unfortunately, I know that how it should be, is not always how it is. So, that being the case, if I begin to notice that I'm not being promoted because of my locks, will I regret my personal style? Will I change my style for a position?

I think NOT!

Easily, locking my hair has been one THE best decisions of my life! Seriously. I could never regret it for anything in the world. If corporate America doesn't want me because of my lovely locks, then, it is THEY who lose.

No comments: