Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Post-Election Day

Voter turnout in the city of Detroit was low yesterday, but did we really expect more? My motto is, "Don't sweat the small stuff." We can't afford to worry too much about other people's actions, or lack thereof. I'm a faithful voter, have been for most my voting elegible years. As such, I made my voice heard yesterday evening.

And the results are:

Mayoral Candidates: Dave Bing, Tom Barrow

I'll be honest. I had no clue who Mr. Tom Barrow was until I googled him this afternoon. I, like the majority of the voters in the city, was far more interested in the city council candidates. Since Dave Bing just got into office, like last week, we might as well see what he's got to offer. No need in changing administration so soon.


City Council Candidates: Charles Pugh (Yay!), Ken Cockrel Jr. (Boo!), Gary Brown, Brenda Jones, Saunteel Jenkins, Kwame Kenyatta, Joanne Watson, Jai-Lee Dearing, Alberta Tinsley-Talibi, Andre Spivey, James Tate, Lisa Howze, Shelley Foy, Fred Elliot Hall, Raphael Johnson (huh?), Mohamed Okdie, David Cross, John Bennett (:)).

Whew! That was a lot of typing.

I think this was the first time in Detroit's political history, that the primary focus of the election was on the council, rather than the mayor's office. Regarding the race for city council, I couldn't be more happy about Charles Pugh's place in the race. Well, not 100%. As much as I support Mr. Pugh as a candidate, I don't believe a new councilperson should jump in as president of the body, hence, the need for the city's charter to be revised. Another thing, I have a problem with people referring to Charles Pugh as a celebrity and insinuating that he's running for office, solely, based on name recognition. Mr. Pugh can't help it if his name is a household name in the city of Detroit because of news reporting and his time on the radio station, WJLB. I think Charles has evidenced his commitment to the city in several ways. The fact that he'd leave his lucrative career to serve the city speaks volumes to his character and his purpose. He's a true Detroiter and he will be an asset to the city council. AND, PLEASE, I HOPE PEOPLE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE MAN'S SEXUALITY! THAT IS SO OLD NEWS!

Most surprising to me about the council race was convicted murderer, Raphael Johnson, making it on the November ballot. I didn't think it would happen. The subject of whether a convicted felon should be allowed to hold public office was such a hot and touchy topic since the news of his conviction became public knowledge. Personally, I was on the fence on the issue. It pains me to think of all the young people, especially young black men, who traveled the wrong path in their youths, which led to criminal convictions, and the difficulty that they have obtaining gainful employment, in order to leave the criminal life behind. It's pretty hypocritical of us, as a people, to call our punitive system, a place for rehabilitation, then say those convicted are not welcome to ALL parts of society once they have paid their debts to society. Who are we to judge? I mean, really, the actions, whether criminal or not, most of us took at the age of 17 or 18, aren't the same ones we would take 10 or 20 years later, right? So why should we view Raphael Johnson any differently?


City Charter Commission: Freeman Hendrix, Rose Mary Robinson; Teola Hunter; Ken Coleman; Jenice Mitchell Ford; John Johnson; Jeffery Robinson; Reggie Reg Davis; Cara Blount; Jonathan Kinloch; Ken Harris; John Eddings; Tonya Myers-Phillips; Patty Fedewa; Sarah Lile; Warren Crockett; Olumba-John Olumba and Elena Herrada

On the subject of the charter commission, I wish I was more informed on all of the candidates. Seeing that I wasn't, responsibly, I only voted for who I knew I wanted on that commission--Freeman Hendrix :) All I know is that our charter is in desperate need of revision so we can avoid circus shows such as this council race. Can we get some qualifications for council? Can we set some standards, like whether a convicted felon can run for office? Can we set limits on how many people can run, so voters don't have to search through 167 names on a ballot? Please!

I'm pretty proud of myself in recent years. I remember, about 5yrs ago, I used to roll my eyes when my, now ex-husband, use to be trying to engage me in political conversations. At that time, politics wasn't something I paid much attention to. Yes, I used to vote based on name recognition, mainly because I wasn't aware or didn't understand the issues. Recently, I've turned over a new leaf. I understand the importance of being an informed voter so that I don't regret the decisions made by people I chose. So, now, I'm always looking for ways to inform myself on issues that surround me. I listen to the Mildred Gaddis show most mornings, I watch CNN in the evenings, and I tune in to the Rachel Maddox show, and another, who's name I can't remember offhand. But, overall, it felt pretty good to vote for people who I really believed in and I encourage all to do the same, if you're not already. And, if you have some news programs that you recommend, please share it with me in the comment section.

Lastly, can anyone say, "Thank God, Martha Reeves is a goner?"

No comments: