Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

WorkOut on the Riverwalk

Radio station, WGPR 107.5, has been hosting a weekly FREE health initiative, RiverWalk Workout, on Thursdays at 6PM. It's been going on since early June, I believe, but this past Thursday, was my first time participating.

Things started out cool. Donna McFay, radio personality, began with a brief warm up, followed with some stretches. Next, there was an option of a low impact cardio workout with her or a more advanced workout with professional trainer, Glenn Lot Jr.

I've had a personal training session with Glenn once before. I knew his workout wouldn't be a walk in the park, so when he lined those of us up who chose the more advanced workout, I prepared myself for the intensity to come. At least I thought, I'd prepared myself, but I had NO IDEA what was about to come.

Glenn said, "We're going to start with a light jog. Everybody line up. The goal is to keep up with the person in front of you," he said. "It's not a competition. Just do your best." Before we got started, someone asked how far we were going. "Aww, we ain't going nowhere." That was his first lie!

The light jogging was going okay, until we kept going, and going, and going. Eventually, I asked one of my fellows joggers, "How far are we going?

"To Cobo Hall," was one of the replies. Cobo Hall! I didn't know the exact distance, but I knew it was further than I could jog. I began losing my breath. I had to stop. I needed to walk. But it bothered me as I watched the others continue. However, I understand my body well enough to know when I need a break. So, I walked awhile before I got the courage to begin jogging again. When I finally reached the rest of the group, they were running up & down the stairs of Joe Louis Arena.

"Ohmigod," I said aloud. "That's alot of steps." Nonetheless, I was up for the challenge. Afterall, I was no stranger to stairclimbing. Just about every day, at work, I walk up & down 5 sets of stairs.

Hmph! There was no comparison. It was tough. I didn't make it all the way across, but I did the best I could. After the stairs, Glenn, directed the group in series of exercises, including hopping up the stairs, lunges, then jumping lunges, squats, then jumping squats. He had us do some other stuff, too. Unfortunately, by the time he was ready to move to perform some upper body work, I was DONE! I couldn't do anything more. I had pushed myself to MY max. That, I'm confident in, no matter how, intimidatingly, Glenn glared at me. I understand his role as a personal trainer to push the trainee. However, I, as the individual, must adhere to the signs of my body, and know when I need to slow down. I wasn't there to pass out from overexhertion.

At the end of the workout, I didn't want to look at Mr. Glenn Lot Jr. His attractiveness and bulging muscles were not enough to make me think pleasantly of him, at that time. Yes, I was that heated! I'd never exercised like that in my life. For real ! I was so burnt out, I didn't even think I was going to make it back to the group's starting point, let alone, be able to drive home. Trying to walk back to the group's starting point, I had to sit down, twice, to catch my breath and get my bearings.

By the time I made it home, I began to feel better. In fact, I was feeling quite accomplished. Although, I was unable to do EVERYTHING that Glenn instructed, I did put my best foot forward. I'd say I completed 85% of the workout. That's not bad for a first timer. Right?

I have some pretty high fitness goals. And it's gonna take intense workouts, such as the one I had on the RiverWalk with Glenn, to reach them. So, while the workouts are grueling, they're a necessary evil. And, once or twice a week of that kind of intensity is just what I need. Therefore, after all my groveling and complaining, Mr. Glenn Lot Jr will see my face on next Thursday.

We only have a few more weeks of summer. Come on down for the challenge.

No comments: