Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Up For the Challenge

I'm not sure if my daughter did this on purpose, but, nonetheless, she challenged me to accomplish a long sought after goal of mine. Since she was born 14 years ago, I've been working off & on throughout the years to lose the belly fat that developed from the birth of her and my son five years ago.

Yesterday she and I went to the gym. Back at home I continued to perform some ab exercises and arm toning exercises. While doing this I was talking about how motivated I become when I take in the fit bodies surrounding me at the gym. Well she says, "Ma, I don't even know why you keep exercising. You've been exercising like forever and you don't eat as much junk as some people do and you still got that fat stomach. You might as well just accept it."

Yep. Just like that. That's what MY child said to me. Now, she wasn't mean spirited. She says all the time that I have a nice figure. I wear a size 8. So why do I stress myself over a flabby belly? She simply doesn't understand.

Believe me, I wish I could stop my quest as much as anybody. But how can I stop when I know I haven't done absolutely everything I can to achieve my goal. I'm guilty of wanting the desired result without REALLY investing the sacrifice and dedication necessary to achieve it. The longest duration I went faitfully to the gym was maybe six to nine months. During the time, my body was getting into shape. I could tell. However, I didn't curtail my eating ENOUGH to reach the desired results. I still wanted to eat chocolate chip cookies (my fav), pizza (my other fav), and fast food multiple times during the month.

So, for me, I can't let go of the goal until I do ALL that is reasonably possible. Most of the women I see in the gym who have the bodies I desire are working out HARD. They're not walking on the treadmill. They're RUNNING. They're not just doing the ab machines. They working EVERY muscle. I can only assume, if they're working it out like that in the gym, they're probably meticulous with their healty eating regimens as well.

Though it's taken me awhile to get myself back in the gym, I'm back now. I acknowledge that I need prayer and meditation to overcome the challenges that are before me. What comforts me is that this is something that I want. It's not for anyone elses benefit but my own.

Exercising, eating right, and having the BEST physical and healthiest body I can is a lifetime goal. I intend to be the woman at 45, 50, & 60 years old that younger women declare, "Wow, that's how I want to look when I get that old." Probably sounds a bit vain, but it's my goal, nonetheless. The good thing is that in the process of pursuing my goal, my kids are learning throughout their lives about healthy living because they're involved every step of the way.

Wish me luck!

No comments: