Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

The Good Ole' Days

I'm wondering when did I become such a scaredy-cat when it comes to spending money. Five years ago, I had standing bi-weekly hair appointments. In the summer, I would at least treat myself to two or three pedicures in the summer time. I would treat my mom, sister, and my daughter to the movies on occasion. We'd go to breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And, the mall was a hangout--not just for window shopping either.

Now, I cringe when my, now, teenage daughter wants to go the mall. Although I want and need a pedicure, when I think about kicking out that $25 dollars compared to just painting my own toenails, I decide on the latter. Even though I wear my hair locked, I only see my loctician a few times a year, maintaining my own hair.

Did the economy reshape my spending priorities? Did maturity? Did having two children?

Whatever the case and cause, I know I miss those days. Even though I know my sights are set on more longterm gratifying things like a bigger house, college savings for my children, my personal savings, vacation (family & personal), I really want the best of both worlds. I'd love to get back to treating myself to regular hair appointments. I want regular pedicures! I want to hit the mall whenever a sale is going on, not just when I absolutely have to for the kids.

Thank God for patience and strength. Until I'm able to have the life I want, I make the best of the life I have. Where I can't shop ALL the time, on the occasion when I take the kids shopping for their necessities, I treat myself to a little something. Every now and then, the kids and I do go out for breakfast or dinner, bowling, and a movie (matinee or drive-ins). I'm comforted knowing my reward is on the way :)

No comments: