Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thanksgiving--Where will I be?

Thanksgiving is in less than two weeks and the only thing I'm sure about is that I don't feel like going over anyone's house. It's not that I don't want to be around family, but you have to understand that I am around my family all of the time--literally. Like five days a week and one of the two--if not both days--of the weekend. With the holiday quickly approaching, all I can think about is to enjoying the comfort of my own home for a few days. Of course, this will drive my children completely insane! So how can I make this a win-win for all involved, I asked myself?

1. Have Thanksgiving dinner at my home and go visit my family for a couple of hours.

2. Have Thanksgiving dinner at my home and invite my family to my house.

3. Have Thanksgiving dinner at my home, drop my children off to my family's house for a few hours while I go back home.

4. Have Thanksgiving dinner at my home and don't worry about the kids wanting to go over to our family's house.

The four options all have their fair share of advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages of any of the suggestions that require me to leave my home for any amount of time pretty much defeat the purpose of my wanting to relax on Thanksgiving day. It's not like this one day away from my family is going to be detrimental to my chidlren's lives. For some reason, they're bored at home, but, hey--mom deserves some R & R, right???

Over the last few days I've been leaning towards option #3--inviting my family to my house. Ideally this would be awesome IF my house was a bigger. As it stands, I feel like it would be a tight squeeze inviting my mom, dad, sister,brother, brother-n-law, and approximately 5 extra children over for dinner. And forget about a formal dining table--it would be a pretty casual thing at my house. Inviting family over will also involve me having to SPEND extra money to prepare more food, even though I'm sure my mom will bring a couple of dishes to help out. But this move will also involve some MAJOR housecleaning on my part and I hadn't anticipated that, but it's not like it doesn't need to be done.

God, if only I was in a bigger house! Nevertheless, isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about--being greatful for what you have--little house, big house, no car, clunker car, etc.

If I invite my family to my house for Thanksgiving, it will be a first! Perhaps its long overdue. However, I'm undecided. I'm not used to cooking for more than myself and my children, with the exception of desert, but never an entire meal. Maybe it'll be fun! I guess I better broach the idea to my mom to see if she had anything planned. Either way, I know I'll be spending most of the holiday at home and the kids just better be "thankful."

Til Later...L.A. Jefferson

No comments: