Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

A New Day

You'd never believe what I had planned for myself on this past Friday evening. A hair appointment! Yes, a hair appointment. What's so significant about this hair appointment as it compares to other sporadic ones that I've had over the last two years is that this one will be the first of many to come. After much consideration of how I take care of myself, I recently decided that I'm lacking considerably in the area of allowing myself simple indulgences that, quite frankly, I deserve. After all, I do go to work everyday. I provide a good life for myself and my children. But when the economy started going to hell I, like many Americans, began cutting back on spending. I won't get off into all the cut backs that I made, but I'll say among the cuts included my personal pampering spending. Back in the day I was at the salon every two weeks. In the summer I would get pedicures, sometimes manicures. I kept my eyebrows arched. Well, not anymore. I rationalized that those things were not important enough to spend money on, especially when I knew people who were doing these things for themselves. I figured I could too. That's what led me to become a DIY'er. Don't get me wrong, being a DIY'er has certainly had it's advantages, specifically monetarily, but it's also quite exhausting. Becoming a DIY'er made forget the importance of treating oneself. That's why there is a industry full of services: massages, nails, facials, hair salons, etc. So in essence I'm damaging the economy in part by taking away money from that industry. Therefore, I'm giving back. I've decided to have my locks interlocked. And, since I can't do that myself I'll be entrusting the care of my hair to my cousin,a professional loctician, who also happens to be my cousin. I'm starting with my hair, but in due time I'm going to start treating myself to monthly massages and pedicures. Matter of fact, I think I'll get a pedicure today :))

No comments: