Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Congrats Graduates

Next to Christmas, the current season has to be my next favorite time of the year. Not only because summer is finally here in Michigan, but it's graduation season.

This year I've had the privilege of having quite a few honories in my personal circle. My mom graduating from our local community college, something she never thought she'd do. My daughter graduating (correction, "being promoted") from middle school. My son completing pre-K. Such exciting times for these graduates. And last but not least, my two step daughters--one graduating from middle school and the other from high school

My emotions really get the best of me during graduation ceremonies. Just yesterday at my daughter's ceremony and a couple of days ago at my mom's, tears threatened to spill from my eyes as I scanned the room of smiling graduates as they walked that precessional walk down the aisle to their seats. All eyes on them. Their moment to shine. Their moment to say, "Yes, I did it!"

They did, indeed, do it. At my son's pre-K celebration, they did it! The little boys and little girls, many of whom had never been in a educational environment before that first day, learned to follow direction from another adult. They learned the importance of sharing. They learned that everything didn't revolve around them. They learned to adapt to a schedule away from home. And one of their biggest lessons, as they move on to Kindergarden in the fall will be that many of the people they meet in this world will only be in their life for a season as they go on to meet new kids, in new schools.

The middle school kids going to high school did it, too! Goodness, I can't even get into the hurdles these kids overcame during these puberty years. But even through puberty, the ups and downs of friendships during those years, the introduction to boyfriends and girlfriends, they made it to the end of that road. And my daighter did it with honors. Now they excitedly look toward their high school years which will bring about even more new and exciting challenges.

My mom and other graduates like her of various ages did it too! The beauty of community college is that some of everybody is there. Recent high school graduates who chose to induce a less stringent transition into college life or who maybe needed to improve their GPA before applying to a 4yr university. There's the student who desires to switch careers and take advantage of the lower cost of tuition by taking general education courses to transfer later on. Then there's the students like my mom. For years, they feared higher education. Not thinking they could measure up. But lo' and behold after taking one class after the next, after the next, by the grace of God (and a little homework help from their kids & grandkids), they find themselves walking across the stage, a confident and degreed individual.

How good is my God? Congrats to the graduates of 2009 and best wishes in all you pursue!

No comments: