Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

Living without Boundaries

My sister was jokingly talking about her husband possibly having a case of AADD (Adult Attention Deficit Disorder) because he just seems to be all over the board when it comes to what profession he's in pursuit of--finance, retail, teaching, or ministry. What's funny is that as she was talking, I couldn't help but think to myself, "That sounds a lot like me!"

If you ask me, besides writing--the only constant in my life--I'm all over the board with my interest. The fact that I have a undergraduate and graduate degree in business administration, I feel compelled to pursue a management position in the company that I've been working for over the last 10yrs. However, more recently, I've been considering a different avenue altogether--teaching.

High school teacher. Community college teacher. University teacher. Those are my options. With the exception of community college (if I remain in the business field), the transition would require additional education on my part. I could either pusue secondary education certification for business to teach high school or a doctoral program to teach at a university.

Then I face the question, do I really want to teach--on any level? The question requires serious thought. The last thing I want to do is spend time advancing my education, only to decide it's not the path that I really want.

Optimally, I would love to get an advanced degree in creative writing and teach that. That would be awesome!

My life motto is "As long as you still have breath, there's still time." So the way I see it is as long as God grants me days on this Earth, I'm gonna spend each of those days trying to get it right on EVERY aspect of my life. While some may call it AADD or just plain 'ole wishy washy, I'm never going to stop trying to find that right balance for my life. And I'd encourage everyone to do the same. There's only a small percentage of people who automatically know what they want to do with their life. For those of who weren't so fortunate, we just have to keep searching until that final curtain call.

No comments: