Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

If Not for Mother's Day

Unfortunately my Mother's Day weekend didn't get off to the greatest start. Something I ate didn't agree with my stomach and it became clear at approximately 4 o'clock in the morning when I awoke with terrible stomach cramps. Still, about six hours later I tried to trek on to work to take advantage of infrequently offered overtime. But the closer I got to my job, although mildly improved, my crampy stomach told me I wouldn't be able to concentrate on much else. So, regrettfully I turned around to go back home. Then I had a epiphany! As far as anyone knew, I was gonna be at work for the next four hours. So I figured this was the best opportunity for a little "me" time.

While quietly suffering, I preceded to treat myself to a much needed and well deserved pedicure, followed by my favorite meal of the day--breakfast(albeit I was unable to enjoy it). Had it not been Mother's Day, I would've taken my behind home, but something just didn't seem right about not having some time to myself to do things for myself that I deserve and enjoy.

I really appreciate the opportunity that Mother's Day affords me. Although I know plenty of moms who treat themselves to pedicures, manicures, facials, etc on a regular basis, I have not been apart of that circle in a few years now. Since returning to single mom status a couple of years ago, I was forced to readjust my financial priorities to, not only accomplish some short-term goals, but also to continue the pattern of saving that I managed to establish being married. With that came less trips to the hair salon, only seasonal pedicures, no manicures, and no major wardrobe upgrades for myself. I committed myself to spending regularly for the children's needs and only as needed or for special occassions for myself.

As mothers, we know that our children always need one thing or another. Whether its lunch money, field trip money, money for hanging out w/friends, socks, undies, and the list goes on and on. Well Mother's Day (and my birthday) are the only times of the year when I can, with a clear conscience, declare that the only spending that I'll be doing will be on ME.

So, until the children are completely self-sufficient (whenever that is), whether rain, sleet, snow, or stomach ache, I will continue to set aside Mother's Day to treat myself to a little luxury.

No comments: