Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Writing, Shopping, & Dog Walking



A day off from my day job was just was the doctor ordered. Well...not from my doctor. In fact there wasn't really an order. But I did have to take a day off work to attend a doctor's appointment with my husband. The appointment was in the morning and was over in time for me to actually go to work but I wasn't feeling it. The truth...I've taken on many extra tasks at work and the boatload of meetings over the past couple of weeks have been draining me. So much so that I haven't been able to concentrate on my current writing project for the month and it's almost over! This year is about productivity. If I keep adding distractions to my plate it's going to be the end of the year and the only thing I'll be able to say is that I published my second book. Hmm, that's not such a terrible thing, but it's not my only goal.


And boy was God on my side. After the appointment, my husband and I stopped at a Coney Island near home for a brief breakfast date. He was avoiding carbs, I wasn't. My pancakes were scrumptious! The goodness of God, however, wasn't the pancakes but when my husband dropped me off at the door of our home and drove away! Yeah  baby...that's meant ME time.






Before I could get started writing, though, I had to wash the stack of dishes that had been patiently awaiting for the last couple of days. Then I had to take Pepper, my little black Terrier outside for a walk. She's my son's responsibility during the week so she doesn't get lengthy walks until the weekend. She appreciated the surprise treat. Lastly, I cleared the computer desk off all clutter (a receipt, a broken lead pencil, a medical pamphlet) so I wouldn't have anything to distract me from writing. It doesn't take much.


Once all distractions were cleared, I searched for the latest version of the story I'd been writing. Since I can no longer use my USB drive at work, I have to go through the tedious process of  emailing Word documents back and forth between my work email and personal email. And, no, before you suggest them--I can't access Google docs, OneDrive, or any of the other online document creators at work either! Until another method presents itself, this is it....


In the end, I got a good draft of my story nearly complete. I'm writing a story about a challenging time in my marriage--is that ever not the case??? Seriously, though, there's an insurmountable amount of material when you're writing your life and 100 times more writing about your marriage! I've easily noticed how, even in nonfiction writing, the story you start with isn't always the story you end with. Not only that, while writing one story, material for future stories are unleashed. I'm excited for those and for the shoes I ordered online while writing...distractions are never too far away :)




The day off was well spent so instead of going to a rigorous Zumba class, I treated myself to the movies--the real treat was the popcorn!

No comments: