Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Weekend Recap of Indie Author L.A.

I didn't want to reschedule the appointment with my friends (my current editor and his wife), but I was backed into the corner of spousal obligation. Out of the blue my husband wanted to go out to Gilbaltar Trade Center after our pre scheduled breakfast date. Gilbraltar is a humongous trade center where sellers of just about everything you can think of (rare coins & stamps, jewelry, Avon, clothing, toys, guns, etc.) gather every Saturday and Sunday.






"Remember we're having company this afternoon." I said gently.


"We'll be back by 2." He assured me. So I text my friend's wife--she's the techy one--and advise her of the time change. I wait to hear back.



Excited about what I may find at the trade center, I decided to make the best of unfolding changes to my day. It's been many years since I've been out to Gilbraltar. I'm sure I've been there, at least once or twice, in my adult life but my strongest memories stem from childhood visits with my parents and older brother. The sharp dressing man that my dad is, I'm sure he was on the hunt for good deals on leather jackets while I was more excited about what I would go home with: books, charms for my bracelets I like to make, and materials for friendship bracelets and key chains.  Guess, I haven't changed much!


We set out in the wrong direction, unaware that the trade center in Taylor, Michigan had merged with the one in Mount Clemens. No biggie, though. We made a pit stop at Denny's for breakfast before heading in the opposite direction. My grand slam breakfast was delicious!



Over the forty minute drive, my husband enjoyed listening to tunes from his cell phone playlist while I enjoyed being on the passenger side, for a change, delving deeper into the one of the three Jessica Fletcher mystery novels that my daughter gave me for Christmas.
Sadly, my son wasn't as entertained as I because we don't one of those cars with built-in Wi-Fi. Poor baby. But he perked up once we made it to the trade center.



It was his first time--at least with me. He could have gone with my dad. In fact, I'm sure he did. My dad took him everywhere. Obviously, it wasn't as exciting for him as it was for me as a child. Kids of my son's generation are used to getting little trinkets in between birthdays and holidays.  I wasn't so fortunate--until those family trips to Gibraltar. Back then I was into friendship, charm bracelets, and Sweet Valley High books! And Gibraltar was chock full of everything my eyes could behold!



Nevertheless, my adult eyes weren't overly impressed. I left with a pair of gloves only because the sellers looked desperate for a sale. My son was happy with some fresh cider and fresh mini donuts.



From there we made a few other stops. Nothing of any significance. Unfortunately, my afternoon plans with my friend didn't work out. Honestly, I was pretty disturbed that I let my husband coerce me into changing my plans. Instead of pouting, though, I sucked it up. Sacrificing is a huge part of marriage. However, I WILL NOT be doing it again when I reschedule my plans so I hope my husband doesn't have anymore plans of disruption up his sleeve :))


Til Next Time,


L.A.

No comments: