Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

How Do You Choose?

On any given day, there's literally a billion things to do! Everywhere I look--and for some reason I'm always looking--there's always something going on. Between hustle & ballroom lessons, organization meetings, church activities, exercise classes, kids' school activities (LSCO mtgs, P/T conferences, programs), my writer's group activities, and a host of other functions and activities that I'd love to support. But you know what, even if I didn't have two children to devote my time and energy to, I still wouldn't be able to do all that I want to do. Sometimes the decisions are hard to make. For example, last Saturday was my monthly writer's meeting. For various reasons I haven't made the last couple of meetings so I put it in on my mind the whole week before that I was not going to miss this one. BUT when I woke up that morning, I just wasn't feeling it. Then I heard the groups founder, Sylvia Hubbard, word's, "If your writing is important to you, you should be able to sacrifice one Saturday morning per month for a couple of hours." She's absolutley right! I should be able to, but I don't always want  to.  On that particular morning I was much more inclined to enjoy one of my favorite movies Julie & Julia, while drinking a delicious cup of coffee and a glazed donut with my kids. Not to mention, that movie creates a surge of writing inspiration! So I'm no less dedicated to my craft of writing because I missed yet another meeting.

As for the other activities that I pass on, I just don't see any other around it. I'd love to dance 2 or 3 nights a week or take a Zumba class once a week. Unfortunately, after working all week, helping with homework all week, writing & blogging all week, I have to be extremely selective what I do in my free time. Right now my priorities are my kids and my writing. So dancing stays on the back burner until I get an invite or hear about party I want to attend. Exercise is limited to an occasional Zumba class and Exercise T.V. programs. Most school activities are mandatory. Church is on Sunday and once or twice a month for additional services or meetings (church is kind of important). The rest of the time is for as much R & R as I can get!

No comments: