Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Making the Best Of It

Anyone besides me have one or two people (grown-ups) in your family who have this retarded mindset that they don't have to have a job like every other adult??? Well, depending on how grown they are, you almost can't get mad at them because SOMEBODY has allowed them to think they can get away with living off of others, but that subject is another blog entry altogether. My purpose is to suggest how to make use of these family members so they do something purposeful with their lives.

PUT THEM TO WORK!!!

If you can't make them get a REAL job, make them useful for the family members who do work. For example, my loved one (and I do love him dearly) is really good with being available for the children. NO, HE'S NOT A PEDAFILE. He's extrememly helpful getting my son to school in the mornings while I get my oldest to school and myself to work. He even came through for me when my son was going to a school farther away from his house when his car was working.

During the summer months, I don't have to spend my weekends or time after work cleaning my yard because he can do it while I'm at work. When I need painting done in my house or minor repairs, if he can, he'll take care of it. Not only does that save me time, but it saves me money.

In our case, I've long given up on trying to figure out why this person has chosen this life. It's really not my place to do so. If they're happy, why shouldn't I be? Everyone has a place in this life. Right now, mine is working my current day job, writing in my free time, and raising my children. This other person, because of their chosen lifestyle, is in a position to help me as well as others in the family, so it's a win-win situation for our family.

No comments: