Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Doing It Myself

Today is a perfect example of why I became a do-it-yourself girl a few years ago. My daughter went to the hairdresser this morning. She knew exactly how she wanted her hair to be styled. I told the hairdresser part of what she wanted and my daughter explained in greater detail after I left. Well, something went awry because when I picked my daughter up she was very dissatisfied. She liked the layers that her hairdresser cut, but the bangs and the back of her hair were cut too short. I didn't think it looked too bad. Trying to console her, I explained that she could simply pull the bangs back with a clip and just rock the layers until the bangs grew out to where she wanted them. I also used the moment to reiterate to her why I resigned to becoming my own hairstylists, amongst other things.

I would lose count trying to remember how many times I went to a hairdresser with a desired look in mind and leaving with something completely different. Honestly, I don't believe it's because these hairdressers didn't know what their doing, but rather they could create their version of what I wanted. The point is I was disappointed and I got tired of paying money not to get what I wanted.

Last year when I began locking my hair, I continued to be a do-it-yourself girl. I couldn't be happier. Not only do I get the satisfaction of accomplishing something on my own, I also save more money than I used to be able to getting my hair done bi-weekly at $35-$55 a pop. If you ask me, it can't get any better than that.

No comments: