Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

#MyDayJobSucks

I'm in great admiration of Nathaniel this morning. It's Tuesday and he's got a day off! Oh, what I'd give to be in his shoes. Instead, I'm the mom, the head of household, the breadwinner, the bill payer. Can you guess where I am? Yep. Work! And it's really sad that it's the last place I want to be.

As a believer in God, I try not to express negative sentiments about my job because I know that I could easily be a part of the large population of the unemployed in Michigan and across the nation. That's not a place that I want to be and I thank God that I've never been there before. Believe me, I don't want to have any personal dealings with M.A.R.V.I.N.

BUT...I'm really tired of my job! Can I say that one more time? I'm really tired of my job! The people. The work. The managers. Especially the managers! Basically, everything besides my paycheck.

So being the writer that I am, I go to the Web and google workplace blogs because I've been considering creating a workplace ranting blog for sometime. In my search, I came across a website promoting this guy named, Alexander Kjerulf, who wrote a book entitled, Happy Hour is 9 to 5: How to be Happy at Work.

Just what I needed, right? On this guy's blog he had a video where he advised of the two most important factors that contribute to employee happiness at work: Results & Relationships. Mr. Kjerulf said that when employees see, understand, and are properly rewarded for their results they feel happy about work AND when they like and feel liked by the poeple they work with, they feel happy.

In that case, my unhappiness at work is warranted. My department produces a product that no one really cares about anymore--the white pages. It's a product in it's last life stages and that's exactly how our department operates. Quite depressing.

Thank God for my writing. It's the only thing that keeps me sane for 8 hrs that I have to spend at my job that's paying the bills.

Follow me on Twitter @lajefferson for my workplace grumblings @ hashtag #mydayjobsucks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very insightful...I never knew!

You better get out of there quick!

360 said...

Very insightful!

Quick get out while you can!