Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Super Mom Moment

Every so often throughout the year I experience "super mom" moments. Last week, Thursday, was my son's 5th birthday. It was the same day of my 14year old daughter's Annual Sports Award Banquet at her middle school. This was the first year that the ceremony was taking place in the evening, which would've been most convenient had I not wanted to take my son and nephew to one of kids' favorite places, Chuck-E-Cheese. Since attending the banquet was mandatory, as was celebrating my baby's b-day on his day (Saturday was already filled up), some improvising would be called for.

Now, one would think I would've have everything all figured out a few weeks ago. However, I'm severly striken with procrastinitis, as like to call it, and have been for most of my life. So while I knew I was going to buy my son a new bike for his birthday, I was taking him out the evening before his birthday to get him sized for one. After we did at Toys R Us, I dropped him off at home with his sister while I made a trip to my local dollar store for his b-day balloons, which, of course, would remain in the car until he was asleep for the night. That wraps up the day before the b-day.

The day of, baby boy is happy to awake to his colorful assortment of balloons! Doesn't stop him from aksing where his presents and cake are??? Well, at 5, he hasn't drawn the conclusion that mom doesn't make cakes, she buys them. Grandma is the cake maker. However, mom was surprising him with cupcakes for his class after their naptime. I mistakenly figured he'd be distracted with getting ready for school to think about a cake. Anyway, regarding presents, the Batman car I bought for him on our trip to Toys R Us, he didn't consider to be among his b-day presents. He expected something the day of. Kids--gotta love 'em. But he had no idea that his brand new bike would be awaiting him when he got of school.

So I take him to school and hurry to work for a half day. I left work at 1PM, leaving myself exactly 1hr to get to Toys R Us to pick up the bike, get to the bakery for the cupcakes (yes, I should have bought them the day before, but remember, procrastinitis). Thank God, I managed to get everything done and arrived at the school promply at 2PM, surprising the birthday boy. It was lots of fun, although the b-day boy didn't want one of his own cupcakes.

We get home, he's blown away by his new bike. I have to run down the street alongside him as he rides because the bike is a little bigger than the one he learned how to ride without training wheels last summer. But he was doing great. Then once his sister came home froms school, there wasn't much time for anything else besides getting ready for her banquet. The two hour banquet, which consisted of a few song selections by the school choir, a keynote speaker, decent meal, and award presentation, was long and lovely, but she was glad, as most kids are (even teenagers) to have their mom is present at such special moments, of course taking pictures :)to capture the moment.

It was nearly 11PM when I was finally able to relax. Literally, I had been running around from the time I woke up that morning until we finally got home that night. It was a whirlwind of a day! But as tired as I was, I didn't regret a moment of it. With all the fussing and disciplining children that moms (and dads) have to do, moments when you know you're making them happy are so worth all the hard work. That makes it all worthwhile.

No comments: