Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

STAND for Something or Fall for ANYTHING

Even though I’ve been a union member 10 yrs now, and have gone through approximately 3 contract negotiations, I’ve never experienced anything like what I’m experiencing now. Communication Workers of America (CWA) is in the fight for its life with corporate giant AT&T. After the major concessions that the United Auto Workers (UAW) labor union had to make over the past couple of years, AT&T is more than determined to force CWA to make similar concessions, notwithstanding the fact that the telecommunications industry is nowhere near the ruined state of the automotive industry. In fact, like the medical industry, the telecommunications industry, with AT&T being at the top of the helm, still continues to reap huge profits. But still, they’re trying to force the union to make concessions in every vital area of interest to its workers: healthcare, wages, job protection, guaranteed time off, and retirement benefits.

One would think, in this case, that the members with the vested interest in these issues would do whatever their union leaders asked of them. Well, they don’t. From what I’ve been witnessing, too many of the members want to reap the benefits that the union provides, but aren’t the least bit interested in making even small sacrifices for the cause. Instead, they sit around sprouting off about how the union does nothing for them. About how the union is so weak. About how the union is busy lining their own pockets, not really fighting for the benefits those they represent.

The union, however, is only as strong as its members. I concede that labor unions are nowhere near the powerhouses they were back in the old days. But now I see why. It’s the weakness of the membership. The people don’t possess the passion for workers’ rights like they did back in the day. The people have taken for granted all of the benefits (40hr workweek, vacation days, personal days, sick days, 15 minute breaks, etc) that labor unions brought to the American workplace. Just like civil rights, the people have forgotten that the people of yesteryear fought and died for those very rights.

During a union steward training class I attended a couple of weeks, I was humbled beyond measure at the sight of a man beaten to death for supporting organized labor. Today, I, along with thousands of others, are able to be apart of an organized labor unions that fight for fair treatment, fair pay, job protection, etc., without fear of losing our lives. And I can admit that until the moment of seeing that slide of that beaten man, I never considered my union membership a big deal. I wasn’t looking for a union job when I was hired into AT&T. It just happens to be they way I got my foot in the door. Now that I’m here, I can’t even say that I’ll always be on this side of the line with my employment with the company. But I can say that while I’m on this side, I appreciate the work the union does on my behalf. Because of what they’ve done over the years, I’ve been well able to provide for myself and my children. So, today, as the company is attempting to make it difficult for me to comfortably maintain my standard of living, I will continue to stand with them and support their efforts.

If they ask me to wear red every Thursday to display my solidarity, I will. If they ask me to spend my lunch hour at an informational picket to openly display to AT&T that I can make a sacrifice for what’s important to me, I will. If they ask me to come out on a Sunday afternoon for a rally, I will. If they ask me to walk off the job, I will.

And when the negotiations are over, if the union has to make more concessions than we all wanted, I won’t declare that the small sacrifices I made were a waste of time because they don't compare to the sacrifices of those who came before me. Instead, I’ll feel proud that I took a stand for something. Like it's often said, “Stand for something or you’ll fall for anything.”

No comments: