Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday Shopping

It only takes the holiday season to knock one off the wagon of spending cutbacks. It's ironic, though, how throughout the year all of us were struggling with escalated & food costs, people losing their homes and jobs, and such. But as soon as Black Friday came, a surprising number of people found some money to make the total amount spent on that day surpass the amount of last year. Unbelievable! Then again, maybe not. I mean, Black Friday, historically, is the day that the best retail deals of the year occur. That being the case, it's a wonder more people weren't out.

Luckily, I wasn't pressed enough for any particular item that I needed to leave my house at sunset to get in line. But I did venture out at the more reasonable time of 8AM to see what I could make happen for my kids. I have a four year old, who'll be happy with whatever is under the tree for him and a thirteen year old, who knows me well enough to not ask me for an over abundance of things that she know I won't get anyway. LOL! At the conclusion of my outing, I had a reasonably priced digital camera in the requested color of pink and a 2-in-1 Leapster game system with a couple of games that were 1/2 off. Picked up a couple of DVD's for a steal. They may or may not be gifts, but what the heck--they were all under $5.

In addition to to the reasonably priced gifts I got, I also managed to treat myself to a few well-deserved items, like 2 pairs of boots, a butterfly necklace, and a pair of earrings. Oh yeah, and a coat. But that's minor compared to how I used to do it up for ME back in the good ole days.

With 98% of my shopping being done, I've regulated myself back to my mall avoidance tactics to reprogram myself to saving rather than spending. But I must say, the last few weeks have been a blast!

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Copyright @ 2008 by LA Jefferson

No comments: